Mexican Vegetarian Meatballs
Meat Free, Keto-Friendly, Low Carb Meatballs with a Mexican Twist!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ cups cooked mung beans
- ½ cup California Black Ripe Olives finely chopped
- ½ cup white onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes chopped (not in oil!)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash beans with a fork or potato masher or pulse in a food processor until a smooth texture forms. Add olives, onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, parsley, spices and tomato sauce. Once your flax “egg” has gelled, add it to the mixture too. Mix to combine.
- Roll bean mixture into 1½-inch balls and space evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, remove from oven, flip, and cook for another 5-10 minutes. The balls should be gently browned when done.
- Serve warm or cold over salad